Thursday, May 20, 2010

So I go to test out strollers at Buy Buy Baby a few weeks ago and I see this display of books about different jobs. You know, each book is about a different profession: doctor, fireman, etc. And the books are cut out in the shape of the person, so the cover is almost a little doll. And, of course, most of the professions are men. Except, and I am not kidding you, princess and ballerina.

I do not think you have to be a feminist to appreciate that this is just not cool.

So I talk to the manager, Matt, who is very VERY nice and he says he will talk to the buyer for me. Two days ago, he actually called me back and says the buyer told him there are other books "for girls" but these have not sold well. They are nurse and teacher.

So there you go. Our professions are apparently still limited to the only acceptable ones as of 1920, with the exception of the imaginary profession (I don't think you can actually get a job as a princess, right?). And the idea that boys would actually be interested in reading one of the "girl" books is apparently preposterous - why would a boy want to read something with a girl on the cover?

Let me also point out that these are books aimed at 3-year-olds. Say what you want about nature vs. nurture, but there is no acceptable argument that justifies only showing our boys and girls that women have 4 acceptable and feminized professions. And we wonder why there's a math divide along gender lines! We wonder why women take on "caring" professions that pay less. We wonder why girls want to be princesses (and we wonder why women are so convinced that they can change men, just like in the fairy tales). Could it possibly be from the media they are exposed to? Sounds crazy, I know.

And, by the way, just for a reality check: The trash collectors on our block are often women, there are two female fire fighters at our local fire house and both of them fought in Iraq. We are friends with male nurses, teachers, and dancers ... but no male princesses, I have to admit.

Do me a favor. Buy feminist kids' books and keep your mouth open when you see crap like this. I am disgusted.

No comments: